Saturday, June 30, 2012

Windows



old back porch thru which my kitchen window looked
So this is a picture of the back porch to our old house.  It was the door we used 95% of the time.  It had the freezers, the trash cans, muddy boots, the cat's beds and the floor door to the cellar... and the a/c units just outside.  My kitchen window looked into this area.  The glass seals of the big glass panels were broken, making the view impaired by the cloudy glass... not to mention all the distracting sights that stood between me and the outside.  

I was driving up the driveway yesterday focusing on the roof as I stewed over another potential problem... more on that later... when I was about to go around the bend and came to a screeching halt, turned off the radio (?) and rolled down the window.  The windows along the kitchen wall had been installed.  They were stunning even with Tyvek siding.  My eyes actually started to well with tears.
kitchen window at left, then pantry window & bedroom windows

You see, when I first starting designing our house last fall, the very first thing that went on the paper was the kitchen window. I knew exactly what it would look like and the direction it would face. I literally drew the kitchen and the rest of the house around this window. I love to cook, I love to be in my kitchen, and I love to look out the window and see birds at a bird feeder, flowers in a garden or deer walking by.  

So when I came up the driveway last night and saw the kitchen window and the rest of them along that wall, it was then that I realized that my dream of a new kitchen and a new house was really going to come to fruition.  It was even more beautiful than I had imagined and the view from inside was even more breath-taking ... even though there are no bird feeders or flowers yet. 

Colton modeling the kitchen window with enthusiasm! I know... there is a telephone pole I didn't consider.  Good place to plant a tree.

I love windows.  I think they are magical and we definitely went over the top with the quantity and size of windows in our design.  But they are really going to accent the house from the outside and show off the beautiful views from the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment